Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Becoming a Star at the Starlite Motel!

I've had a number of offers to be in movies of the MILF-Hunter type, and I've always declined that fabulous PR opportunity.... but yesterday I discovered that I could be a star in a real documentary. (You know, the kind where they explore some obscure subject matter.) Here is part of the letter.

Hello Tabu,

I was impressed by your blog, and wonder if you would grant me an interview for a documentary film I am making. My documentary is called Love at the Starlite Motel.

By way of introduction, would you visit my web site, www.inigofilms.com?

My big questions are, what is the role that motels play in the culture? Why are they taboo? What is the taboo around motels protecting? I once heard the Catholic ethicist Margaret Somerville say that the strongest taboos protect the most sacred things. Not surprisingly, she wasn't talking about sex. However, I find the idea useful. Who better to ask than a woman named Tabu.

Have you ever had an encounter at the Starlite Motel?

The interview crew would consist of a very experienced cinematographer and me, and I would prefer to conduct the interview in one of the Starlite Motel on 8th St. in Miami. These motels are clean, and quite safe. I have stayed in them for between a week and a month at a time.

If you would like to speak to a reference, I can offer you a previous documentary subject, a colleague or my co-producer at the NFB. To compensate you, I would make a donation for your time, or make a donation to your favorite charity.

Hmmm. Interesting idea, but for once, I have little to say on the subject. I'm not a motel type of girl, and find the subject evocative only in the abstract. So I had to decline this kind invitation.

However, if anyone else has fond memories of the Starlite, their website encourages you to write them and volunteer to be in the film.
So much for the No-tell Motel!


No comments: